Sunday, November 16, 2008

Weekend Update

Sorry, this isn't the SNL version, but the Shawn & Lynnae version. (Although I do miss the days of Adam Sandler showing up as Opera Man )
As I'm typing this, I'm realizing all kinds of big news that happened this weekend :)
I had Friday off - don't be jealous - and went and sat at the Social Security Office and then the DMV to officially become a ..... WILSON.
Yay!!!!!
Funny thing in my family, I've actually come full-circle. My Dads Mom's family was Wilson. That's the reunion we used to have every year out at my Uncle Don's property in Forks, WA.
FRIDAY:
Low-key, Anna came over finally, after not being here for the past 2 or 3 weekends. She didn't even know about the Ghia. And didn't seem too enthused about it. I'm chalking it up to being a teen-ager and the self-centeredness that comes along with it. (I have to remember, I was there once too, and it will fade. Eventually)
SATURDAY:
Got up, got breakfast, Shawn made coffee at *home* - thanks babe! and saved me from running out in the cold and spending money, when we had perfectly good Tully's at home :)
Started out on the Ghia - we both wanted to tackle a major project - something to say that we've made significant progress. We had 4 things on our list:
>The steering column (which is locked, but seats need to be removed first)
>Removing the seats
>Opening the drivers door
>Opening the engine latch

Shawn started drilling on the rivets on the underside of the car for the engine release. You see, just like with any "hood" release, there is a lever you pull which connects to a cable and releases the latch. The Ghia's had rusted through, so no cable to pull on. The latch on the Ghia is bolted to the frame, so if we just loosen the bolts?..... No, no, no, of course it couldn't be that easy. The later model Ghia's are *riveted* to the frame................. (huge exhausting sigh and rolling of the eyes). After blowing through countless drill bits to try and pop them out. And drilling through some of the metal, Shawn got up and tried to pull up on the "hood".................
(in a sing-song-y voice)
Look what we found....... !!
He figures that when he drilled through the metal, that he must've hit the cable just right to release it!!!!!! The latch works perfectly - very smoothly, no lubrication needed!

Oh yeah, it's dirty and filled with mouse/rat poop, pine needles, a sprout of some sort growing out of the engine and even a huge mouse/rat nest, but like most of the car - it's INTACT!
Even if it doesn't run, even if it's crap, engines for these things are workable and/or cheap. $400 bucks for the car - I'm not complaining!

And to confirm another thing, with only 2 pedals inside the car - a gas & a brake (first thing we both thought - "did one of them seriously rust off??" (the two are nasty and unmoveable))

It's an AUTO-STICK!!!!!

A spout off of the engine said, "ATF" - Automatic Transmission Fluid. Yippee!!!

Sturday night we had Glen, Pete & Candice over for some homemade Steak Chili and UFC (on fast forward, of course) I'm too old and my time is too precious to sit around and watch a FULL evening of UFC. So we record it and FF through all the hype, etc.
I could tell Cole was getting bored as well, so pulled out his newest favorite game - Banopoly. (yes, "Monopoly"...... I don't know why...) Candice was the Realtor, I was the bank and poor Anna couldn't catch a break on buying ANY properties! But she did win "Free Parking" so in the end she came out with the most money. Of course if you ask who won, Cole would of course say, "Me!"
UFC was done so we pulled out The Big Button game. (grinning from ear to ear) If you've never played The Big Button game over here at the Wilson's, well, be prepared to LOSE! It's actually called 'Scene It' that we play on the XBOX 360 and it comes with handheld cordless buzzers, almost like Jeoporday. It's all movie questions and (patting myself on the back) I *kill* it everytime. Shawn jokes that he's going to give me old batteries next time, or that they'll make me play in the kitchen - farther from the sensor! Don't get me wrong, I'm a good sport and Candice & Pete gave me a good run! It was great spending time with them.
We were discussing the Seahawks game on Sunday and since we all had tickets & going to the game, we decided to carpool. (Yippee, more Candice & Pete time!) hehe.
SUNDAY:
Pete made some awesome bloody mary's and off we went! We had a great drive up to the game, pretty good weather and fantastic seats! Stopped at the Pyramid beer garden for a bit before the game. And decided to meet up with Candice & Pete at halftime for more drinks and food. We were right next to the 12th Man Flag, it was awesome!


The Hawks gave it a run, but it turned out as usual - us losing.
To Arizona.
Ugh.

Good-bye to this season. There's always next year, right?


Great view of the city



Shawn & I at the game

1 comment:

Jackie Wood said...

Love all of the car updates and the picture of you and Shawn!! Have a great week.