Sunday, November 02, 2008

*My* Karmann Ghia


It's an AMAZING thing to utter....... and it's true.....

"MY Karmann Ghia"

Those of you who know me well know that I've wanted one since I was about 11 or 12?? (Or did it start earlier? Cami, Jackie, help me out!) If ever you were to ask me what my "dream car" would be, I would unwavering & immediately answer, "Karmann Ghia". They're small, they're sleek, they're sexy and they're a VW. What more could a girl want?


OK, so she's not the prettiest - yet. But her story is a great one:


My lovely, amazing, fantastic, husband of all husbands called me Thursday night, "I just found the most amazing thing on Craigslist - are you ready??" He did a random search, as we both have done every once in awhile for the past 6 months or so - just for fun. Just to see what they're going for. Normally you can't touch one for under $1000. And even at that price they need A LOT of work. He read the ad to me, told me to check it out myself and call the guy. Pronto.
I hopped on the laptop and this is what I saw:


I called the guy immediately. It turns out a gentleman passed away over a year ago. The guy posting the ad, "Bruce" was contacted to be in charge of the estate & help out the elderly widow. Come to find out, the gentleman who passed away was some sort of tow truck/wrecking yard kind of guy. The Ghia - and over 300 other cars - sat in this massive, 20-30 acre 'field' in Olympia. Maybe people would get their cars towed and couldn't afford to fix them or get them out of the wrecking yard, etc., so there they sat. "Bruce" is now liquidating the estate & cleaning up the property. They've taken over 150 cars to the crusher already. (I'll post more photos on that part of the story later)



We met "Bruce" down in Olympia bright and early Saturday morning - I didn't want this one to get away!
"1973 or 74 VW Karmann Ghia, sitting for years, $400."

You read correctly: 400 bucks!


Me & my '73 Ghia

As I said, she's not the prettiest. She has some rust, there was moss growing on the outside of the vehicle, but she's intact! Almost completely intact! The interior, for being parked since 1993 (15 YEARS!!!), is almost immaculate! She has all of her emblems, most of the chrome and the trunk looked great. We weren't able to pop the engine compartment (rusty cable due to sitting) but Shawn could read the info on the spark plugs.

I get to take her home this Saturday :)


Thanks sweetie, for even bothering to look for Ghia's for me, for knowing how much this means to me and for saying, "LET'S DO THIS!"
I love you!

1 comment:

Jackie Wood said...

YEA!!!!!!!!!!
OH my gosh!!!
I remember this dream so well and I know you have wanted one as long as I have known you (since we were 11)!!
LOVE the picture of you and your new baby. Oh, I am so excited for you. Maybe someday we can all drive around in your very cool car!!!