Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I GOT A JOB!!

It's been a long time comin', but..........

I'm officially EMPLOYED!

After a long, L O N G sabbatical (I say that with a grain of salt) and Shawn and I sitting around trying to figure out 'what I want to do with my life'. He gave me a FANTASTIC idea - grocery stores. He always raves about how he LOVED working at his local grocery store through high school. So.....
I am happy to say that I am a new employee of - Safeway.
(for those of you not in the area, it's a grocery store)

I am the newest, 34 year old Courtesey Clerk at the local store.

Ha!

I have a teenagers job!

But it's my foot in the door. And the only thing they had available with my schedule right now. With Cole out of school, I really didn't want to put him in some sort of daycare, it just doesn't work out financially. When school starts, my schedule opens waaaay up. This way Cole & I can still enjoy our summer!

Yay!

The woman that interviewed and hired me told an interesting story too. She started out as a courtesey clerk also and on her 3rd day she heard over the intercom, "Heather, please come to the managers office before you leave today". She was like, "crap, I'm getting canned on my 3rd day!?"

In the managers office he asks her, "So, where do you want to go?". Puzzled, she asks, "What?". He proceeds to tell her that EVERY department wants her, that she has her pick of the store and can choose to her liking.

She moved up to Checker just like that.

And that's what I'm interested in. Moving up. I'm able to move up and up and up as well as transfer, transfer, transfer.

All around, best move ever!

But for now - I'm a bagger. And I'm OK with that.

2 comments:

Jackie Wood said...

Enjoy your new job, so happy for you!

cami said...

Hey! My cousin Janine has worked for Safeway (started as a checker or bagger, too, in high school or college) for like 20 years now. She continued working there after college because the benefits are awesome, she now does inventory computer-type-stuff. I don't actually know her exact *job*. But I know its a great company to work for! If you see Janine, you'll recognize her- how many Beaudrys are there, really??? Plus, she looks like a taller me!

Enjoy your new job, Bug! As a former 'bucks barista, I know the "that's a kids job" comments can get aggravating, LOL. Personally, I could give a flying f--- what anyone thinks, if its fun, you enjoy it, it works for your schedule- then DO IT!