Sunday, November 25, 2007

Getting our tree

I'm not trying to skip Thanksgiving, I'm honestly not. We had a great day at my brother & sister-in-law's house in West Seattle. Beautiful. It was one of those cold, crisp, *sunny* Seattle days that we love around here. Full of family & homemade food. My first cheesecake turned out rather well, I might add.

So, while the weather was decent, we decided to head up to the mountains to cut our Christmas Tree!! I'm almost ashamed to admit that although I've lived in the NW since I was 4, I've never been to the mountains to cut my own tree. Until now.

At the same time, I was a little nervous about what kind of tree we were going to end up with. I'm picky about my trees and I'm thinking, "I'm going to end up with this bushy thing that I hate."
But oh, was I wrong!

Driving up the mountain, closer and closer to where we plan on stopping, I see hundreds and hundreds of Noble Firs. From little ones to huge,towering 50 feet tall trees. And they're everywhere! Fantastic!

The woodsmen: Cole, Glen & Shawn




Glen wrestling his tree



We had this great plan to bring the campstove and some Campbells soup for lunch in the snow. We packed up bowls, utensils, crackers and even towels - just in case. As well as extra socks & shoes for everyone so our toes didn't freeze.


We drive up past Greenwater and continue on up into the snow. But there really wasn't much snow until we got up to our 'secret' spot. Snow everywhere!


We start to get lunch set up and realize......
we don't have matches.
or a lighter.
or anything that resembles a flame.
And with our high-tech Pathfinder, we don't have a cigarrette lighter, we have 'outlets'


Crackers anyone?

Brother & sister - Cole & Anna
Awwwww.......


Finding our tree was straight out of National Lampoons Christmas Vacation...

Ahhhhhh!
The gleaming light surrounding it and everything.
"Isn't it beautiful Audrey?"
"She'll see it later Clark, her eyes are frozen."
"Dad, did you bring a saw?"
"Clark, that thing wouldn't fit in our front yard!"
"It's not going in our front yard Ellen, it's going in our living room."





Yes, we did remember to bring a saw.

I got my Noble! And all for a $10. tree cutting permit. Highly recommended.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this post, the words and pictures really capture the day. So glad that your season is off to a great start, I can't wait to see pictures of the tree sparkling with lights and ornaments.
Sorry it was just crackers for lunch, but thanks for sharing that story!