Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Reading

Oh I love me some books!

I love to read. I've always loved to read. I have my original copy of Charlotte's Web from when I was little. Circa 1983. That's 3rd grade to you and me.

I started reading this past winter, but it was this summer that I really put my nose in my books and savored all they had to offer.

This summer was sunny and warm and PERFECT for afternoon reading breaks. Cole and I would get our chores done in the morning and then head outside for some sunshine. Cole would usually be in the sprinkler, on the slip-n-slide or riding his bike (ahhh... those carefree days...). I would set out my loungechair, iced sun tea and soak up the rays - book in hand.

I've discovered some new favorites as well as revisiting some old classics. Now I really look forward to nighttime - snuggling in bed with a good book!



To Kill A Mockingbird. My current read - for the 3rd time. I love this book. Love everything about it. The time period, the names, the descriptives, all set in the syrupy, syrupy South. This book is in my top 5. Harper Lee really outdid herself. It's like poetry.





Vanishing Acts. I picked this up at a thrift store purely by the cover of the book (how vain of me! tsk.) But a beautiful story of a father and his love for his daughter. Written in 4 different character perspectives, Jodi Picoult gives you the view of "walking a mile in another mans shoes". A heart-strings tugger for any mom out there.







Extreme by Sharon Osbourne. Gawd, she is sassy! And I *LOVE* her for it! After really getting to know her from the MTV reality show (some would say first ever reality show) The Osbournes, I fell in love with Sharon. She's brash, she's ballsy, she's crass and she rocks! The wife of heavy metal icon, Ozzy Osbourne, and mother of 3, Sharon tells of the rock and roll lifestyle she and Ozzy experienced first hand. I have more respect now for Ozzy and his music. Very funny and sad at times. Another thrift store find :)




The Five People You Meet In Heaven. I know, I'm probably one of the last people on EARTH to read this book. It's been on "my list". Gutwrenching and Heavenly all within the same book. It traces back to my "everything happens for a reason" slogan. If you haven't read it either - get to it!






The Devil Wears Prada. I read this on the beach in the BAHAMAS and that is a great memory in and of itself! Of course it had already been made into a movie by the time I got around to reading the book, but it still rocked! Picturing Meryl Streep as the mean, mean Miranda gave me a perfect visual. This will go into my 'keeper' pile.




The Secret Life of Bees. OH. MY. GOSH. I don't know where to begin. The beautifully described sunny south set in the 60's, the dripping honey, the honey bees, the longing of Lily.... It oozed warmth and goodness from the first pages. HUN - NEY!

A Must Read. A Must Read. This is now in my top 5 of all time.



East of Eden. Steinbeck. 'nuff said.
Set in the Salinas Valley in the late 1800's to early 1900's, a gripping, epic tale of family. It's S.L.O.W... and long and if you make it past the first 90 pages, you're good. I bought this in 2003/2004 to bring to Sun Lakes as a summer read and haven't touched it since. Now bring on the movie and James Dean!





I've also read In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner, a wonderful story about sisters and growing up.

Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells - this would probably make my top 10. I know it was over publicized and the movie just didn't do it any justice whatsoever! The book itself , when you break it down, was a beautiful journey of four girlfriends. You'll laugh and cry, sometimes within the same sentence!

The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks - my mom gave me this book. Not a 'typical' Nicholas Sparks novel. Not at all. If you're looking for The Notebook, look somewhere else. This is suspenseful and gripping and a story of love. Love between a woman and her dog - a dog her deceased husband sent to her. Yes, you'll cry. But good, happy tears that make you glad to be alive and to be loved.

Atonement - Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. The movie is well done and was nominated for a bunch of awards and such, but the book is SOOOO much better. Lovely!

Many more to come, I'm sure! I already have Confessions of a Shopaholic, Water for Elephants, The Reader and The Friday Night Knitting Club just waiting on my nightstand........ Plus, my friend Jenna has volunteered her Twilight books for me to read. Whew!

Happy reading! And as always - suggestions welcome!

4 comments:

Jackie Wood said...

Oh, so many to add to my list and many that I completely agree with you as excellent reads.

I read the secret life of bees a few months ago and LOVED it, I found myself wishing I could chat with the characters.

I haven't read the Twilight series, but it is on my list as well.

Thanks so much for posting. I am so addicted to books, I love hearing (or reading) about others adventures inside the pages just as much as enjoying the adventure myself!

Tracey said...

Water for Elephants is the best book ever. I mean it. I didn't want it to end. The Reader is good too, but not one of my favorites. You must read the Twilight series, you will get sucked in and fall in love. It is a great experience. Stephanie Meyer is an incredible writer.
Here is one other book for your list: The Long Walk Home, by Will North. I read it on a plane about a year ago. Good Book.

Happy Reading,

Tracey

Lynnae said...

Thanks ladies! I usually just browse the thrift stores or Half Price Books for titles I recognize, but I love your suggestions! I have a feeling I will become a Twilight fan like the rest of the world.. ha ha!

Danelle said...

my old favorite is Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice, oh how many times have I read THAT one?!