Monday, July 21, 2008

M E M O R I E S

Or "Lynnae's crap" as Shawn lovingly refers to it.
~ My name is Lynnae, and I am a pack-rat ~
Where to begin?? July marks a year ago that Shawn moved in to "The Bungalow"
Seriously - it's about 800 square feet.
We got a storage unit to house the extras until we had time and space to go through it. Or eventually moved into a bigger place. But I *LOVE* this house, this neighborhood, this area! So we decided to get rid of the $130. monthly storage payment and sift thru our stuff. Okay, my stuff. Mainly.
You would not BELIEVE the stuff I kept..... I have memories from Elementary, Jr High, High School and beyond. I found a shoebox stuffed full of notes. You know the ones: "Do you like him/her? Check Yes or No" and the "He said, she said, did you see what she was wearing" crap-ola from our younger years.
I found my colored mascara, circa 1987-88 - in teal AND purple.
The pale-pink shimmery Cover Girl lipstick ALL the girls wore.
All of my movie stubbs from every. single. movie. I ever saw!!!
(special thanks to Julie Lavin :)
And then High School - ALL of my Cheer stuff. Everything. From the hall pass from Giste for the squad announcement to our daily practice schedule & what to wear to each game to my cheer socks, cheer 'undies' (with DHS on the bum!) and even my Cheer shoes........
I'm telling you, it was exhausting. I'm emotionally drained.

This was the start of it - "the sorting"

A huge drawing from Danny. I *knew* he was gonna be famous one day ;)


A small box of the memorabelia I found
(my retainer, tix stub from the Tacoma Rockets, the mascara!)


the box stuffed full of notes......


old calendars ???
(I don't know either)

just ONE of the hundreds of movie ticket stubs
(sorry I couldn't find a cooler one, like Dirty Dancing or Mannequin or Stand By Me)

but I always wrote who I saw it with :)


graduation cards
(again - I don't know.....)

more movie tix, my one-way flight to SLC, Utah to pick up Cami, a card from Archies Diner (that cool 50's diner in Browns Point that I served at) and a punch card from Temple of the Bean on North I street in Tacoma (long since replaced a zillion times)

manilla envelope o' cheer crap
We're going camping this weekend and I'm burning about 90% of the crap I found. Some was just too precious to trash. It's true what they say - all of this stuff becomes "baggage" - emotional & literal. Time to let it GO.

5 comments:

cami said...

I am absolutely against this reckless purging, I'll have you know.

Those movie stubs are priceless! And the mascara- holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to drag out my stuff- we should get all the Illahee/Decatur bloggers to to take pics of their stuff. We all have it, I'd bet.

Jackie Wood said...

Oh, I have stuff from Junior High, my PE uniform, yep how scary is that! Oh and of course the Batman cards!

I had to laugh after I read this post, the first thought I had was, "Cami isn't going to like this!". Then there it was in the comments.

The picture with the mascara made me smile...I had forgotten about those, I had them too!

Anonymous said...

I am going to show your comments to Shawn - thanks for making me feel not-so-crazy for keeping all this stuff!

Your PE uniform??
I'm so jealous....
=)

Tracey said...

How funny, my mom just sent me home with a box of stuff she found in my old closet and bedside table. I haven't had a chance to go through it but she said their were a bunch of happy meal toys and our Illahee annuals.

Anonymous said...

Reading this post made me think "thank goodness I'm not the only one." I have discovered recently (and much to my dismay) that apparently I am quite the packrat. I've been going through a bunch of stuff too and know I've seen some of that old high school stuff around - in fact, I think it's in the boxes next on my list. I wonder what I'll find? :)