Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Scent of Memories



I was getting ready for work this morning and was running late. I shaved, which took extra time. (damn, being a girl!) So I decided to wear my hair a bit curly again. (yep, I got that naturally after Cole was born) Aaaaaanyway... back to my story. I reach into the cabinet under the sink for product and remember that I bought some mousse about 6 months ago. Yes, I said Mousse. So I sqirt some into my palm and start to fluff into my hair. I am instantly drawn back into Junior High.

This was the mid-1980's for me with the perms and the bangs (oh, God, the bangs....) and the colored mascara, pink and purple eyeshsadow, flipped-up collars, acid wash jeans, leggings, Generra, Code Bleu, Guess Jeans, Keds, matching socks - sometimes layered..... and on and on and on.

What a great scent reminder! It made me nostalgic for all the girls, too: Cami, Jackie, Julie L., Julie B., Jennie, Dannielle, Tracey, Sara, Janelle, Heather, Jaylene, Hillary, Kim & Cathy and even Natasha (for the countless others, my deepest apologies)

Do you remember Janelle's cool & funky nail polish designs? And Jackie's obsession with George Michael (well, all of ours, to be exact)? Spending ALL SUMMER at Wild Waves?? Cruising the Sea-Tac Mall before we had cars? Eating at El Torito's? Miss Ellis and the whole cheerleading fiasco? Mr. Ingram (?) and our counseling? Brandon and Pat?

OK, so this will mainly partain to just a select few of you. But I hope all who reads this gets the chance for a 'Smell Spell' every once in awhile. It's amazing and special and even a little bit sad, but Awesome!

Stand By Me. Dirty Dancing.

'nuff said.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome Post. Made me laugh and I swear I can smell that mouse. We did have a great time in Junior High, it is still my favorite part of growing up.

Thanks for bringing back good memories!

Anonymous said...

OK, I guess I shouldn't post comments while teaching because clearly I can't spell. Not a Mouse but Mousse!!

TD said...

Crazy how smells can bring all that stuff back, huh? :)

Tracey said...

Oh how I miss Illahee!!! The mousse, the aqua net....those were the days!

Hillary said...

I miss those days too sometimes! :)